A Bill of State Rights
Restoring the role of the State Governments as a check and balance to the over-expansion of the Federal Government.
We propose a package of constitutional amendments that work in harmony to reduce the size and scope of the Federal Government relative to the state governments, and reinforce the U.S. Constitution by providing the States with additional express checks and balances to Federal powers.We seek to popularize the idea of a package of constitutional amendments as a long-term, systemic solution that addresses fundamental ways in which the American system of government has broken down and educate about the danger of centralized government power, how essential firewalls in the US Constitution have been breached, and the importance of repairing and reinforcing the principle of checks and balances in our government to halt the growth of the Federal Government and ensure that it never again grows to hold the unchecked power that it now wields.
- Term Limits for Congress
- Balanced Budget Amendment
- Flat Tax Amendment
- Voter Identification
- Veto of the Supreme Court
- Term Limits for Federal Judges
- State Veto of Federal Courts
- State Veto of Federal Legislation
- State Ratification of Treaties
- State Veto of the Supreme Court
Many of these amendments have been individually proposed in Congress or as referendums. Any of these amendment if passed into law would be beneficial on its own. However, several passed together in a coherent package would constitute a Bill of State Rights as effective at limiting the expansion of federal power as the Bill of Rights has been in limiting federal encroachment on individual liberty. Read our Frequently Asked Questions to learn more about how passing a Bill of State Rights can help save the Bill of Rights and the American form of government.
Please join us in our efforts to resist the concentration and abuse of power. If you agree with us that in the name of Freedom and Liberty the Federal Government has abused its powers for too long, commit to take some of the following actions:
- Ask your elected representatives, especially at the state and local level, to support amendments to the U.S. Constitution that strategically tip the balance of government power back toward the States.
- Only elect representatives to local and national office who have personally acknowledged to you that the Federal Government is abusing its powers. (That is, ask them specifically before you give them your vote!)
- Only elect representatives to office who commit to actively and intelligently resist Federal abuse of power. (Ask them!)
- Ask them to support specific amendments that you believe will help.
- Spread the word! Invite relatives and friends to educate themselves about the importance of restoring the balance of power between the Federal Government and the 50 United States.
- Contribute to this project, or other projects that are promoting liberty via constitutional amendments.